Index Labels

Sweet Ricotta Pancakes

. . 2 comments:
This recipe was taken from Jorge Cruise's Belly Fat Cure Fast Track book.  It's in Section 5 - The Ultimate Carb Swap Recipes.

Makes 4 Servings

Pancakes to the right is this recipe, thicker looking pancakes  are my revisions















Ingredients (see my comments below & alterations to make this recipe BETTER):
  • 2.5 cups ricotta cheese
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 tspn vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup xylitol or stevia
  • 2 tspn cinnamon
  • 3/4 tspn sea salt
  • 1.5 Tbspn. coconut oil
  • Butter, for garnish
  • Fresh raspberries, for garnish
Directions:
Place ricotta in a medium-mixing bowl and beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a wooden spoon.  Stir in vanilla extract, xylitol, cinnamon, and salt.




Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Working in batches, ladle the batter to make 6 pancakes.  Cook until the pancakes set, about 4-5 min. (Note that the surface of the pancakes will still be a little soft.)  Flip pancakes and finish cooking, about 1-2 min. longer.

These were hard to flip.  


Can be kept warm in 200° F oven until ready to serve with butter and berries.

---------------------------------------

MY COMMENTS:
  • Just using Jorge's recipe as is, I didn't like the pancakes.  They turned out flimsy.  The ricotta cheese I had was not liquid, but it wasn't hard like some of the ricotta cheeses that I've gotten in the past.  This was a better quality and the pancakes were really liquidy and took a long time to cook.
  • To the mixture, I added a handful of ground flaxseed to thicken the batter.  This helped a lot and made a world of difference.


  • My pancakes were not huge, as I used a Chinese soup spoon, that would equate to one pancake, which is about a 4" diameter pancake.  It made about 20 pancakes of this size.
  • After I made about 16 pancakes, I added unsweetened cocoa powder to make chocolate pancakes to finish off the batter.


  • My 2 kids (8 & 11 yr old) and a guest kid (9 yr old) liked the pancakes (chocolate and non-chocolate) with ground flaxseed over the non-flaxseed pancakes.
  • I found with Jorge's recipe as is, I definitely need a lot more oil for the pancakes.
  • Even though these pancakes are smaller than Jorge's, they still take about 4 min. on medium heat to cook on the first side and 1 min. on the other side.  I have no clue how you flip a pancake as big as he describes. 
Flax Pancakes to the left, Chocolate Pancakes to the right
  • Also, it makes no sense to have 4 servings and 6 pancakes.  It should've been 8 pancakes or 4 huger pancakes.
  • I Breathe . . . I'm Hungry blog has a cream cheese pancake that I will be trying in the near future.
  • Maybe in the future, in addition to the ground flaxseed, I may add almond meal to give it added texture.  The sweet ricotta recipe seemed more like a crepe recipe rather than a pancake recipe.  I prefer a bit more graininess to my pancakes.
  • Lastly, I would've added frozen blueberries to the pancakes, but my kids ate the huge bag I had in the freezer.  What little piglets.

2 comments:

Merlyn said...

For the Sweet Ricotta Pancakes do you know how many actual calories in his and in yours. He list all sugar calories but would like the actual calorie count as I am doing 15000 daily calories as my max. I am learning how to use flax and reinventing me as well. Great site. Its now one of my favorites.

Doris said...

Hi Merlyn,

I do not know how many calories are in either Jorge's or mine. I'm guessing you're meaning 1,500 calories a day because 15,000 calories a day is a lot.

Thanks regarding my site.

I do not believe I really measured the ground flaxseed, but 1 oz is about 130 calories, 10g fat, 9g fiber, no sugar, 6g protein.

Often I do not really measure much, but do approximations. And I think I just added until the pancake batter looked thick enough to get the pancakes I wanted.

However, if you have a diet low in fiber, you should gradually increase your fiber otherwise you may have some issues with constipation and your body may not like sudden fiber increases. FYI.

Printfriendly

Welcome

Welcome to my my blog!!! I want to share with you my journey in life - through the joys and trials and just being real. Take your time to look around. I have a lot of information and am constantly learning.

Make yourself at home!!!

Translate

Blog Archive