Index Labels

Healthier Buffalo Wings

. . No comments:
This was taken off of Isabel De Los Rios "The Diet Solution" recipe section.  It had a lot of raving good comments, so I thought I would give this a try since I didn't want to do the recipes I've seen. 

Serves 4 (I think).



Ingredients:
  • 1 lb chicken wings
  • 1 Tbpsn cayenne pepper
  • 1 tspn crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 Tbspn Celtic sea salt
  • 1/2 cup hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot Sauce - it has no corn starch, sugar & few ingredients)
  • 1 Tbspn butter

Directions:
Add first 4 ingredients to water that covers the wings.  Bring water to boil and boil for 15 min.

Transfer wings to oven safe container (I used a baking sheet with edges lined with tin foil that already was greased with bacon grease (I was cooking bacon in the oven for a different dish).  You can spray with olive oil or butter pan or baking dish.

Bake on Broil for 15-20 min. (20 min. if you want crisper).  Flip over and Broil for another 10-15 min.

While wings are in oven, combine hot sauce and butter in small pan until butter is melted.

Toss wings with hot sauce and serve warm with celery & blue cheese dressing.

-----------------------------------------

My Comments:
  • My first time making these, I made them for a church social weiner roast.  I figure wings are a favorite of people's and I was going to make them healthier.  God blessed me with going to the right site today as I'd found several other healthy ways to make Buffalo wings that I really didn't like the cooking methods.
  • Boiling the wings was easy, but the fact that that took awhile, and then putting them in Broil for 15-20 min. one side and another side did take time.  Wanted to nap, but couldn't because of the not long enough cooking times. 
  • Bought a 10 lb bag of chicken wings at Costco for $18.  Maybe next time I will look for them on sale for under $1/lb (if that exists) and freeze them, but the big bag is convenient.  Used about 8 lbs for this church social.  4 lbs takes up one big cookie sheet.
  • I read lining with parchment paper was better than aluminum foil, but I didn't have parchment paper.  It seemed fine with Al foil.
  • Costco had this HUGE container of Frank's Red Hot Sauce for just under $9.  This will last for hundreds of wings.  No need to buy anymore hot sauce for the next year.  I wanted a hot sauce that had no corn starch, sugar, or MSG.  Frank's hot sauce had maybe 4-5 simple ingredients, which was a winner for me.
  • I wonder if I need to put the butter in the recipe.  I'll try it sometime without the butter and see if it still tastes as good.

No comments:

Printfriendly

Welcome

Welcome to my my blog!!! I want to share with you my journey in life - through the joys and trials and just being real. Take your time to look around. I have a lot of information and am constantly learning.

Make yourself at home!!!

Translate

Blog Archive