Index Labels

Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes

. . 2 comments:
This recipe is comes from The Food Lovers Kitchen and, as usual, I modify to my liking.

Serves 12


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (I added more)
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar (my addition)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup, grade B
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil (they used palm oil shortening)
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 6 large eggs (the extra eggs gives it a lighter feel, as coconut flour is very dense)
  • 1 cup strawberries, diced (I added more strawberries)
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350° F.
  • Line cupcake/muffin tins with cupcake liners.
  • In a medium bowl, sift the coconut flour, sea salt, baking soda, cream of tartar.  This is really important so as to avoid clumping of the coconut flour, which is highly dense.  Make sure bowl and sifter have no moisture.
  • In a large mixing bowl (I use the KitchenAid mixer bowl), combine maple syrup, oil, vanilla extract, eggs and beat on medium speed until all mixed and then for another 15-20 sec more.
  • Gradually add the the flour mixture in thirds to the wet products and mix with KitchenAid (or hand mixer) on medium speed until well combined.  
  • This mixture will be quite liquidy.
  • Fold in strawberries or mix on low speed ONLY until combined.  You don't want mashed strawberries rather to still keep them diced.
  • Fill each cupcake liner all the way to just before the top of the liner.  
  • Bake for 35 min. at 350° F.
  • Cool on wire racks for 30 min.
I did not add cream of tartar to these, but I think if I would've, they would've risen more.
  • Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting and top with a slice of fresh strawberry.  An easy way to frost this is to put the frosting in a plastic bag (I use a sandwich baggy and clip a corner) and pipe it onto the cupcakes.  Make sure the baggy is sealed well or you'll have frosting squirting out both ends.
  • Serve immediately, or you can refrigerate overnight to infuse the strawberry flavors.
  • Other variations are other fruit, like blueberries, kiwis, raspberries, blackberries, etc.

2 comments:

redethel said...

Hi, it's Miranda' s Mom Susan. A friend asked me if you had any suggestions for substitution on the coconut flour and oil, her daughter is allergic to coconut.

Doris said...

Hi Susan,

Wow, sorry she is allergic to coconut, as coconut has such great properties for consumption. For oil in baking, she could use palm oil shortening, but I have not used this. It is good for baking.

If it's in cooking, she could use bacon grease, as that handles high temperatures, so does grapeseed oil. However, I would only use grapeseed oil sparingly, as in larger quantities, it's not good for your health. I think it's because of the high Omega 6 content.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is great, but it does not handle high temps well, so when using this to cook, keep temperatures NOT HIGH.

Is she allergic to other nuts? I love using almond flour. It is lighter and nowhere as dense as coconut flour, which is very dense. If using almond flour, you don't need as many eggs, it's closer to using regular flour, but still not exactly the same.

See my Banana Cream recipe for the proportion of flour to egg. It will be the baking soda & cream of tartar that makes the baked goods rise.

If she is allergic to nuts, too, though these are still considered grains, I would categorize them as seed grains like quinoa, amarath, buckwheat. She could try using those flours.

A flour basically means the seed/nut/or whatever form it is has had the oils removed and the remaining dried stuff is ground up finely into a flour/powder/meal form. Powder takes the longest to grind, and meal the least. It's just a variation on the groundedness.

So, if you're talking about this recipe, she could use almond flour instead, but you would need to use a lot more flour and fewer eggs. See my banana cream cupcake recipe and you can also making this into strawberry shortcake. Replace the bananas with strawberries and replace the oil there with Palm Shortening.

I'm not sure where you can get palm shortening . . . online or Whole Foods. I did not see it at Sprouts or Trader Joe's. I don't really shop at the big supermarkets enough to know if they have it there.

Does that help?

Thanks for commenting,
Doris

Printfriendly

Welcome

Welcome to my my blog!!! I want to share with you my journey in life - through the joys and trials and just being real. Take your time to look around. I have a lot of information and am constantly learning.

Make yourself at home!!!

Translate

Blog Archive