As normal, I can't just stick to a basic recipe, but need to modify and choose recipes that have tons of flavor. Rarely now do I buy already prepared foods, as it's less expensive, more flavorful, and I can ensure the ingredients that are used are high-quality, with no crappy things.
This recipe comes from Melissa's blog at I Breathe . . . I'm Hungry. She is a wonderful (and one of my favorite food bloggers) cook, really transparent, funny, gorgeous pictures and I just love her blog. She is in the middle of an ebook, which I hope to get.
Here is what I made.
Makes 24 Deviled Eggs
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, halved lengthwise (separate yolks from whites - whites on a plate, yolks in a bowl)
- 1 large avocado, pitted & halved
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise (I will be learning to make my own mayo soon)
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (increased by double from original recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (decreased by 1/3 from original recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (doubled this from the original recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder (I added this - gives it a smokey bite) - you can grind a dried chipotle pepper in a coffee grinder into powder - omit if you don't want it too spicy or can't find this.
- Here's a video on how to make hard-boiled eggs that are easy to peel.
- Some additional notes I would like to add is that instead of 2 min. of rapid boiling, maybe increase to 4 min., remove from stove, cover for 15-20 min. When you add the ice, make sure you let sit in the ice water for a few minutes. They are easier to peel when they are colder, rather than a medium warm temperature.
- Place everything except for the egg whites in a food processor and blend until smooth. Make sure the cilantro is chopped up into bits and the yolks are smooth, not clumpy.
- Place smooth mixture into a plastic baggy (if you want to be fancy, but a pastry tip like a star tip into the bag) with one corner clipped so the mixture can be piped out. Don't make this too big.
- Pipe onto egg white halves. Garnish with a cilantro leaf (I didn't as I was pressed for time).
- If not serving immediately, refrigerate until ready to serve.