This recipe is a combination of quite a few other people's stuff and then this is what turned out. Pictures forthcoming.
- 3 gala apples, cored, sliced into 16 wedges each apple (can be any apples you want)
- 3 pears, cored, sliced into wedges or chunks (any types of pears you want)
- cinnamon, ground
- 4 Tbspns coconut oil (if you don't like coconut, you could use butter)
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- Core apples and slice into 16 wedges. I have an apple corer that does this into 8 wedges and I cut these in 1/2, making thinner wedges.
- Core pears and either chunk or slice into smaller wedges. I did a combination of this.
|Gala Apples & Bosc Pear|
|Added a Red Pear to the mix|
- In a 9" pie dish or square glass casserole dish, toss apples & pears (that have been cored and sliced/chunked) with as much cinnamon as you want. I love lots of cinnamon. Cinnamon helps with the heart as well as control blood sugar levels.
- Dot the top of the mixture with coconut oil. A little goes a long way.
- Sprinkle generously the top with almond meal. This was easiest for me as I had this, but you could really use chopped nuts, oatmeal (if you aren't going grain free), coconut flakes, whatever you want.
- Again, dot the almond meal topping with coconut oil. It's okay if your oil is still hardened. If you don't have coconut oil, you could use little pats of butter, but I like coconut oil as it has a lot of health benefits over butter.
|Pie Before going into oven|
- Bake for 30 min. or until top is browned.
- Serve warm or cold. You can top with ice cream (my kids prefer homemade ice cream from the Blendtec blender) or whipped cream of your choice.