Index Labels

On Hand Ma Po Tofu

. . No comments:


I was at the Asian market and feeling oh so Asian - well, I'm Chinese.  But, I often do not feel Chinese or Asian.  Anyway, I walked by the produce area and there was an assortment of tofus of all different types - more than you can ever dream of.  My Asian cooking is minimal at best and it's been awhile since I made anything.

Anyway, I had some lean ground pork at home as well as onions.  I bought some siriachi sauce, some firm tofu and figured I could make a one of my past favorite dishes, MaPo Tofu.  My mom taught me years ago to make this dish, but use an already prepared sauce for it.

Since I purposefully did not buy any sauce for it, I decided to scour my kitchen for any semblance of anything remotely okay for this dish.  I found some spicy Sichuan sauce, read the ingredients.  It did have a bean paste in it, so this is not a completely starchless meal, but I did reduce the starches.  It also had some soy based stuff, but the rest of the other ingredients were paleo friendly.

However, I will try to come up with a sauce that resembles the sichuan bean paste that doesn't use beans or any starch to make this completely paleo friendly.  Will update when I figure this out.

Here is what I came up with:

Serves 4
Prep Time:  5 min.
Cooking Time:  25 min.

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 lb lean ground pork (you can use chicken or turkey, too)
  • 1 lb of firm tofu
  • 1 bunch of green onions
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbspns sesame oil
  • 3 oz Sichuan bean sauce
  • a couple squirts of siriachi sauce (hot chili paste sauce)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 Tbspns coconut flour

Directions:

  • Cook ground pork on medium high, breaking up into chunks.  Make sure you cook meat until well done, especially pork.
  • Thinly slice the bunch of onions. I even include the tops.
  • Cut a slit in the tofu container over the sink (don't do what I did) and pour out the liquid into the sink, not all over the floor and table.
  • Cut this block of tofu into cubes.  I basically slice it twice long ways than a bunch of squares on top.  It'll turn out looking like diced cubes.
  • Once the pork is done and all your stuff is cut, add the sesame oil, the siriachi sauce, the sichuan bean sauce, garlic.
  • Stir until all the seasonings are evenly distributed.  Now you want to make a thickener.  I don't use cornstarch, but you can use water and coconut flour.  Using a fork, just whisk this until it starts to thicken.
  • Stir this thickener into the meat & sauce.
  • Add the tofu cubes.
  • Stir GENTLY, as the cubes will break up if you are too rough with them.
  • Add the green onions and gently stir.  Reduce heat to low and cover for 5-10 min.
  • Serve over Cauli-Rice.

No comments:

Printfriendly

Welcome

Welcome to my my blog!!! I want to share with you my journey in life - through the joys and trials and just being real. Take your time to look around. I have a lot of information and am constantly learning.

Make yourself at home!!!

Translate

Blog Archive