This salad is very versatile and you really can toss together any ingredients for your salad as well as any protein source. These are some of the things I happen to have on hand, and I really love color in my foods.
|Refreshing, yet hearty salad|
- 1/3 head of green cabbage, thinly sliced and shredded
- 1/3 head of purple cabbage, thinly sliced & shredded
- 1 bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 chayote, thinly sliced then diced
- 1 eggplant, small cubes
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into small chunks
- sea salt
- garlic powder
- olive oil
- 1/2 lb of bacon slices, chopped
- 3/4 cup Chipotle Cilantro Avocado Pesto
- In a very large bowl, combine cabbages, green onions, tomoatoes, bell pepper, chayote until mixed.
|green cabbage, purple cabbage, green onions|
|Chayote, Roma Tomatoes, Orange Bell Pepper|
|This is a chayote - it looks like a butt|
|The inside of a chayote - looks like a Granny Smith Apple|
|On top - tomatoes, green onions, orange pepper, chayote|
- Cook chopped bacon slices in a large skillet (I didn't do this, but realized this would've been easier than what I did)
- When the bacon slices are half cooked, add chicken thighs to skillet.
- Sprinkle chicken with sea salt and garlic powder.
- Cook chicken on medium high heat until about 2/3rds cooked through. There will still be some pink to the chicken.
- Add the cubed eggplant. Sprinkle eggplant generously with sea salt and add some olive oil to the eggplant.
- Saute everything for about 5 min, stirring periodically.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover skillet and let cook for 10 min.
- Remove mixture with a slotted spoon to a stainless steel bowl.
- Coat with the Chipotle Cilantro Avocado Pesto.
- Toss enough chicken and salad mixture to what will be immediately eaten.
- Store chicken mixture and salad mixture in separate containers.