|The finished product|
A couple nights ago when I made the taco salad, I thought about how refreshing and filling that salad was. The only cooking was in the meat, and there was plenty of raw veggies. As my frig is stocked with lots of veggies, I sorted through my mind as to what I wanted in this salad, which is not your ordinary salad. Anyway, I thought to dress up the chicken I was planning on using for this salad, this pesto would be a perfect compliment.
This keeps in the frig for about 2 weeks, which I've used this in a number of recipes. The pesto does get a little darker due to the avocados, but that's alright. It's still tasty good!
Makes about 2 cups
|Forgot to include the olive oil|
|This is actually 2 bunches of cilantro - I use the stems also|
- 2 bunches of cilantro (for me, this was a tight handful)
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- juice of 2 limes (not key limes, but regular limes)
- 1 tspn sea salt
- 1 tspn cumin
- 1 tspn chipotle powder (or 1 ground up chipotle pepper, or 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce)
- 1/2 tspn cayenne pepper
- 1 tspn chili powder
- Blend everything in a blender until smooth.
|I like to process the cilantro first a little|
|One of my limes was looking almost gone|
|Throw everything except for the spices in - I drizzle the oil in with the lid on|
|It took a few minutes to get it to this level - everything smooth|
|No I'm adding in all the spices from left to right counter clockwise - chipotle powder, chili powder, sea salt, cayenne pepper, cumin|
- Serve with protein of your choice.