Index Labels

American Chinese Frittata

. . No comments:
Okay, why did I name my frittata "American Chinese"?  Uhmmm . . . I'm a Chinese woman born in America!!!  Pretty simple, eh?  There wasn't any Italian or Mexican or Mediterranean flair to this recipe, but just using ingredients that seem like would be in a typical American egg recipe, but my own flair.

Would've helped if I put this on a darker plate
As usual, feeling lazy about cooking, no prepared foods at home, we don't eat out, so I must resort to actually making something from scratch.  Simple egg dishes are a staple in our home - they are first of all, SIMPLE, but they are highly nutritious in that they are loaded with good protein, healthy fats, and whatever the ingredients I put in, always turn out great.

Though there are a plethora of spices/herbs in my cupboard and frig, today is just the plain sea salt & pepper and that was enough to give it a little kick.  One of the things every simple cook should have in their kitchen is a medium saute pan with a metal handle.  Not only can you make stuff on the stove with this, but when it's cooler, you can also put the pan into the oven to cook without worrying is the handle going to melt off and light my kitchen on fire.  Be sure to use an oven mitt or cloth towel to remove the pan from the oven or you could get burns to your hand that would warrant an ER visit.  That would NOT be good.

Serves 4 large brunch servings (main serving)

Ingredients:
  • 4-5 slices maple bacon, diced
  • 1 large red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 medium zucchini, diced
  • 1/2 bunch of cilantro, coarsely chopped (I was going to use green onions, but my 8-yr old wanted cilantro - we really love cilantro in our household and usually buy 4-6 bunches a week)
  • 7 large eggs, lightly scrambled (God really likes the #7 and so do I)
  • sea salt & ground pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheese (sometimes we like it really cheesy, but not today)
Directions:
  • Cook the bacon in a medium saute pan on medium high heat until the bacon is nearly cooked through. I like to have this slightly crisp, so I don't disturb the bacon for about 2-3 min. while I cut up the veggies.  Keep the bacon and all the grease in the pan as you'll use it to cook the veggies.
  • Add the red pepper and cook for 1-2 min.
  • Add the zucchini and cook for 2-3 min.
  • Add the cilantro.
  • Pour the scrambled eggs over the mixture in the pan.
  • Lightly sprinkle with sea salt & ground pepper (not very much is needed)
  • Sprinkle with cheese.
  • Reduce heat to medium low.  Cover.  (This really is a favorite way for me to cook, as it allows the flavors of all the different ingredients to come out - the sea salt helps bring this out - and the lower heat helps it to not completely kill the nutritional value of the foods)
  • Cook for 15 min.
  • Remove from heat.  Cut and serve hot.

No comments:

Printfriendly

Welcome

Welcome to my my blog!!! I want to share with you my journey in life - through the joys and trials and just being real. Take your time to look around. I have a lot of information and am constantly learning.

Make yourself at home!!!

Translate

Blog Archive