Index Labels

Vegetable - Kohlrabi

. . No comments:
When you go to an Asian market with veggies, you're bound to find a lot of different vegetables and fruit that look really strange that you don't often see in regular supermarkets.  I don't know if I've seen this at the local Safeway or not or even Sprouts and if I did, it looked too weird for me to even buy as I didn't even know what to do with the vegetable.

Kohlrabi is a strange looking vegetable and it's a cruciferous vegetable, meaning it's loaded in good fiber for your body that aids the digestive system naturally.  We already have a love for brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and they are all great for the body.  Now I am going to begin adding some kohlrabi to our menu and see how that goes.

It sorts of looks like an alien vegetable with tenacles, but don't be dismayed.  It's fine.  When I bought the Kohlrabi at the Asian market, it didn't have the tops on it, so I understand there are also greens to this and I would like to try sometime.

Some good things about this vegetable:
  • Low in calories
  • No fat
  • Lots of fiber
  • Low in sugar
  • Rich in Vitamin C
  • Good source of anti-oxidant
  • Rich in various B-vitamins
  • Helps with metabolizing food (I'm guessing due to the fiber in part)
  • Good source of potassium, which is good for the heart in lowering blood pressure
  • Helps boost your immune system
  • Has lots of good minerals
  • Has phytochemicals that are anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory
  • Helps with iron absorption in the body
Anyway, I can see me using Kohlrabi in a variety of ways - making angel hair, spaghetti noodles, large flat thin noodles with our Spiralizer, or making match stick fries or thin noodles or shredding with our Kitchen Plus 2000 or using our Progressive International Tower to make fries, wedges, or thin slices.  I will display them sometime.

No comments:

Printfriendly

Welcome

Welcome to my my blog!!! I want to share with you my journey in life - through the joys and trials and just being real. Take your time to look around. I have a lot of information and am constantly learning.

Make yourself at home!!!

Translate

Blog Archive