This recipe comes from Sonia from the Healthy Foodie, which I think she adapted this dish from someone else. What are the 6-degrees from Kevin Bacon? Hmmmm, bacon might have been something good for this dish. NOOOOO! I CAN have a dish without bacon. LOL.
This fritter dish is simply delish! As usual, I adapted this recipe from Sonia and it's a huge hit with my kids. Honestly, I didn't want to share any of these fritters with them. Next time I will make at least a double batch of this. And, really, I don't know the definition of a chutney, but just sort of followed the recipe.
Makes 7 Fritters
Ingredients for Fritters:
- 3 large ripe plantains, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tspn sea salt
- 1/2 tspn ground black pepper
- 1/2 tspn ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tspn ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (any nuts will do)
- 2 scoops of whey protein (you don't need this, but I wanted extra protein)
- Oil for cooking fritters (coconut oil, olive oil, bacon grease)
Ingredients for Chutney
- 2 mangoes, pitted and diced into small chunks
- 3/4 red pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed
- 3 green onions
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 2 Tbspns ginger
- 1/2 tspn sea salt
- 3 Tbspn apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbspn maple syrup
- For Chutney
- Put red pepper, jalapeño, green onions, parsley, ginger in a food processor and pulse on CHOP setting until everything is finely chopped. You don't want to eat big pieces of ginger or jalapeño.
|Dicing and Chopping is easier with a food processor|
|Parsley, Red Pepper, Jalapeno, Green Onions, Ginger - Chopped in a Food Processor|
|Add Diced Mangoes (1 yellow and 1 green)|
|Added Sea Salt, Vinegar, & Maple Syrup|
- In a small bowl, combine the mixture you just chopped from the food processor with the mango, salt, vinegar, and maple syrup.
- Place in frig until ready to serve. The longer you let this chutney refrigerate, the better the flavors get infused together. Very yummy.
- For Fritters
- In a medium sized stainless steel or glass bowl, whisk eggs.
- Add remaining ingredients (except for oil) gently until well-combined.
|Grated Plantain & Plantain - looks like a banana|
|Plantains, Walnuts, Cinnamon, Sea Salt, Ground Pepper, Nutmeg (forgot the flaxseed & whey)|
|No Ground Flaxseed & Whey Protein|
|With Ground Flaxseed & Whey Protein|
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Don't use a heat higher than this as it will burn the fritters.
- Add oil.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the fritter mixture to the skillet. I really just used a ladle full.
|Forgot to add the ground flaxseed & whey protein to these.|
|Heat too high|
- Cook until when you gently lift the bottom of the fritter, that it is toasted golden brown. This will be about 3-5 min.
- Carefully flip over and cook for another 3-5 min.
|These have the ground flaxseed & whey protein - more fiber & protein|
|Heat on Medium, NOT Medium High|
|I scarfed the first fritter down pretty fast. Sooo yummy.|