Index Labels

Organizing Spices, Seasonings, Dried Herbs

. . No comments:
I get in these spurts of decluttering and organizing periodically.  Now that I'm married, my husband does not like clutter or procrastination, so this makes it perfect to do some Spring Cleaning and deep Spring Cleaning.  My spices were awful and in 2 different places.  I really didn't know what I had, except for those things I used often.

The Dollar Tree or the 99 Cent Store, as well as Goodwill, Savers, or the thrift stores have been my friend in many things.  It seems like there are more options for organizing without spending lots of money.  So, while my husband and kids were asleep a couple Saturdays ago, I decided I was going to tackle my spices, dried herbs and seasonings.

I found in the cupboard a stainless steel round thing that was perfect for holding all my bags of ethnic spices, as those didn't come in jars.  Then, I went to the Dollar Tree, which is about a mile from my house, and found 3 blue plastic rectangular baskets, 1 smaller container, and a bigger rectangular tub to house my vitamins & supplements. (I don't have pics of everything).

The 3 blue baskets would separate my spices & seasonings/herbs:
  • Frequently Used
  • Bulk
  • Infrequently Used
I ended up tossing a lot of the infrequently used stuff, as I wasn't sure how old the stuff was and figured I could start fresh at this point since I haven't had the need to use those in quite some time because I didn't even know I had them.  This was true of supplements and vitamins.

Frequently Used Bin

Bulk Bin


Asian Packaged Sauce Bin

Pan of Bagged Spices
Often I am just pulling down the frequently used and bulk bins while I cook and it makes it so very easy than scanning through lots of things to find what I need.  Saves me time, money (as I know what I have).  When I'm out of something I need, I just place the container on the counter and take it with me the next time to get more.

While also cleaning out and organizing my spices, I found I had 3 things of thyme.  Yes, I use this dried herb, but I didn't realize I used it THAT much and had 3 containers.  I was able to combine them into 1 container and therefore, less clutter.

No comments:

Printfriendly

Welcome

Welcome to my my blog!!! I want to share with you my journey in life - through the joys and trials and just being real. Take your time to look around. I have a lot of information and am constantly learning.

Make yourself at home!!!

Translate