Index Labels

Pork Carnitas

. . No comments:
I really like this recipe and it was so easy to make.  I found pork on sale for 99 cents/lb and deboned it, though, I do not have the butcher skills that my dad has, who was a professional butcher.  This recipe comes from No Fuss Foods blog.  I didn't really change too much here.


We used the carnitas to make copycat Chipotle Pork Carnita Bowls, but they would be good in tacos or enchiladas, too.  Very yummy.
Print Friendly and PDF


Ingredients:
  • 4-5 lbs of boneless pork (trim fat off of pork)
  • 10 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 Tspn ground cumin
  • 1 Tbspn sea salt
  • 1/2 Tbspn ground pepper
  • 1/2 tspn cayenne pepper
  • 5 bay leaves
Directions:
  • Cut pork into chunks.  This makes shredding easier, but if you don't want to, you really don't have to. I did, though.
  • Place pork in slow cooker (crockpot).
  • Add all the rest of the ingredients, minus the bay leaves.  Mix.
  • Pour the juice marinade over the pork.  
  • Add the bay leaves.
  • Cover and cook for 8-10 hrs on low or 4-5 hrs on high.
  • After it's cooked, remove bay leaves.
  • Remove pork from juice with a slotted spoon into a bowl that will hold all the pork.
  • If you want a fattier taste, you can fry the pork in bacon grease (lard) for a bit to get it crispier, which is what the original recipe calls for.  I did this with half the pork and it was good either way.  Both ways taste good.
  • Also, you may want to reserve some of the juice to go with the pork just to keep it moist when you aren't using it.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Printfriendly

Welcome

Welcome to my my blog!!! I want to share with you my journey in life - through the joys and trials and just being real. Take your time to look around. I have a lot of information and am constantly learning.

Make yourself at home!!!

Translate