Index Labels

Bacon, Pepper & Plantain Frittata

. . No comments:
Frittatas have been a staple of our summer, as I haven't felt too much like cooking with the heat.  The crockpot is also good for those meals you don't really want to do much work, as well as a rice cooker.  Our kitchen is warm year round, and the summer gets super hot.  Whomever designed the house didn't do a good job with situating the kitchen so it's not so hot.

Anyway, today's frittata I knew that I wanted bacon, but what else?  Saw that an orange pepper was going to go bad soon, and saw some ripe plantains on the table.  The green onions needed to be used, so that's how I came up with this.


My base is eggs always, but if you don't want to use the whole eggs, you can use egg whites (Why?  There is so much nutritional goodness in the whole egg) or other egg substitutes if you don't eat eggs.  Pictures forthcoming.

I used my new ceramic pan, which I've been wanting one for quite some time after seeing Fabio Viviani cook with his.  I would eventually like a whole set of this cookware, but for now, so ecstatic for my one 10" saute pan.  This pan actually heats up a lot better than my other pan, and there is no bad unenvironmentally friendly teflon in this pan.  Yay!  So, I do not need to use as high heat as I did with the other pan.

This particular frittata is amazingly good.  It has 3 different sweetness factor, yet is savory.  The sweetness is very slight, but distinct.  Gotta try this!

Pictures of my pan as well as this dish to come soon.

Serves 4 large servings (or 5-6 smaller servings)

Ingredients:
  • 5-7 slices of maple bacon, cut into smaller pieces (uncooked)
  • 1 orange bell pepper, diced
  • 2 plantains, diced into small chunks
  • 1 bunch of green onions, sliced thinly
  • 7 large eggs, whisked
  • 3 heaping Tbspns sour cream (light or full fat)
  • sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
Directions:
  • Dice up the first 4 ingredients and have those ready to cook.
  • In a 10" skillet, on medium high equivalent heat, pan fry bacon until nearly cooked.  Reserve the grease.
  • Add diced bell pepper and cook for a couple minutes.  
  • Add diced, chunked plantains and cook for a couple minutes.
  • Add green onions.  Cook for a minute.

  • Whisk eggs in a medium bowl.  Add sour cream to eggs and stir until moderately mixed.  You can still have small globs of sour cream, but you don't want large globs.
  • Pour egg mixture over the mixture in the pan.
  • Make sure egg mixture is over all the mixture in the pan.
  • Season with salt & pepper.
  • Reduce heat to medium low & cover pan.
  • Cook on medium low for 10-15 min., checking to make sure it's not burned.  Eggs should be set and not runny.  
  • Remove cover and remove pan from heat.  Let cook for a minute before cutting and serving.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Printfriendly

Welcome

Welcome to my my blog!!! I want to share with you my journey in life - through the joys and trials and just being real. Take your time to look around. I have a lot of information and am constantly learning.

Make yourself at home!!!

Translate